Re: [Stox] review: stox-im-03

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Tue, 24 September 2013 12:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 06:35:37 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Cc: stox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Stox] review: stox-im-03

On 9/24/13 12:02 AM, Salvatore Loreto wrote:
> On 9/24/13 2:45 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote: Hi Sal, thanks for the
> review.

> It's not clear to me why the XMPP-to-SIP gateway couldn't
> communicate with the SIMPLE server over UDP. Which text in Section
> 3 do you think implies that only TCP connections are supported?
>> there is not text at all, and that is the problem. When I read
>> the Section 3 and the example I got the impression that I can
>> only use TCP to forward the message on the SIP side but maybe it
>> is only me!

I doubt it is only you. :-)

Because there is no such thing as XMPP over UDP, the gateway from SIP
to XMPP will need to communicate over TCP. However, I see no reason
why the gateway from XMPP to SIP could not be "smart" and send SIP
messages over TCP or UDP depending on what the far SIP server
supports. I'll work to add some clarifying text on these points.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/