Re: [Stox] Stox-media: Should XEP-176 translations have Require: ice?

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com> Tue, 25 March 2014 08:55 UTC

From: Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:55:20 +0100
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>, "stox@ietf.org" <stox@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Stox] Stox-media: Should XEP-176 translations have Require: ice?

On Mar 20, 2014, at 4:45 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Once again, my apologies for the slow reply.
>
> On 1/9/14, 10:31 AM, Jonathan Lennox wrote:
>> I was thinking about the issue that unlike RFC 5245, XEP-176's
>> definition of ICE doesn't support fallback to a non-ICE mode.
>
> Correct.
>
>> It occurred to me that SIP has a way of saying "do ICE, or fail the
>> call": putting a "Require: ice" SIP option tag (from RFC 5768) in the
>> SIP INVITE.
>>
>> Should we recommend this?  It clearly has the right semantics, and
>> will prevent interop failure when a non-ICE SIP endpoint answers a
>> XEP-176 Jingle call.
>
> Theoretically that makes sense.

Agreed. Maybe a gateway could do ICE on behalf of the non-ICE capable endpoint, so can we say this is implementation specific and thus add a MAY to it?

>> My concern, though, is whether there are a) endpoints that implement
>> RFC 5245 but not RFC 5768, or b) non-media-terminating B2BUAs that
>> will pass ICE parameters through, but will reject calls with Require
>> headers they don't know.  In either of these cases, adding this
>> Require header would cause a call that would otherwise have worked to
>> fail.
>
> That would be bad.
>
>> Any thoughts, especially from folks who know the state of deployed
>> SIP better than I do?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

FWIW, in Blink we do use the option tag in the Contact header but we don't add the Requires header, since we can work fine without ICE. Can't say what SBCs do though...

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects