Re: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-groupchat-05.txt

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 19 June 2014 21:49 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:49:31 -0500
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: stox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-groupchat-05.txt

Hi Peter,

[Disclaimer: this was a higher level review than for the previous version--I mainly looked to see how the previous discussions about the architecture rendered into the draft. ]

This version is much improved. I think you've gotten the "FAIL" off of it. But of course, cleaning up the architecture reveals a few things :-)

Section 4:

I think the addition of section 4 helps a lot in general.

The architecture treats the MSRP Conference server to be a monolithic thing. The result of this is, in the examples, all the SIP and MSRP traffic go to the sample place. That doesn't match the architecture from RFC 4975 and simple-chat, where the signaling (SIP) is separate from media (MSRP).  simple-chat talks in terms of a conference focus that handles the signaling side, and an MSRP switch that handles the media (MSRP) side.

Now, it's perfectly okay to collocate those services into an MSRP Conference Server in real deployments, and okay to show it that way in this draft for the sake of simplicity. But it would be worth mentioning that in section 4, and maybe also mentioning that any interaction between the conference focus and MSRP switch are out of scope (and irrelevant) for this draft.

Along the same line, I assume the public "SIP side" interface of the X2M gateway looks like a conference focus plus an MSRP switch to the outside world. Again, these could be logically separate, but co-located.

Section 5 (and subsections)

The diagram does not show the transport (e.g. TCP) connection establishment for MSRP. I think it would be useful to do so. Also, the active endpoint (the one opening the transport connection) has to send an immediate MSRP SEND request once the connection is established. (I don't _think_ simple-chat extended that to allow an initial NICKNAME to replace that--but I may have missed it.)

Section 6 (and subsections)

The diagram in section 6 still has a "SIP Server". It's still not clear to me what that represents. It _could_ be a SIP Proxy, in which the MSRP session would skip it. I guess it could be an MSRP aware b2bua, in which case the MSRP session might also traverse it. It could be a combo of a SIP proxy and an RFC 4976 MSRP relay, but that would require additional MSRP signaling.

I would suggest promoting it to some sort of SIP "service" or "service provider", which is more of a cloud than a box, and having the MSRP traffic skip it entirely. Or removing it entirely--there's no _protocol_ reason that a SIP user needs an outbound service provider (even though there might be perfectly good _deployment_ reasons.)

I also think section 6 needs to show the same sort of MSRP connection establishment and initial SEND request as mentioned for 5.

Thanks!

Ben.