Re: [Stox] core: response code mappings

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Mon, 19 August 2013 22:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:07:09 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: miconda@gmail.com
Cc: stox@ietf.org, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Stox] core: response code mappings

On 8/19/13 3:44 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> On 8/19/13 10:23 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> I know this is almost a non-answer, but...
>>>
>>> The codes that are defined in other RFCs are there to support features
>>> that are introduced in those RFCs. If there is a mapping of that feature
>>> to XMPP, then there should be a mapping of the code.
>> That makes sense.
>>
>>> If there is no mapping of the feature, then mapping the code is less
>>> important, but still perhaps useful in some cases. E.g., it could
>>> conceivably show up in a Reason code based on signaling that was never
>>> gatewayed to xmpp. But maybe a default mapping would be sufficient in
>>> those cases.
>> I suspect that the default mapping would be fine.
>>
>> And in general, there might be more art than science here.
>>
>> I have written some proposed text for this section, but it's fairly long
>> so my inclination is to submit a revised I-D and then folks can review
>> what I've written and post to the list with feedback.
> Looking at the latest draft, it seems to bring confusion on mapping from
> xmpp-to-sip on 400 code. I read this thread and kind of understood that
> any not-obvious-mapping similar-to-a-4xx case would be handled same as
> 400 in SIP, but typically the 400 response is given for a malformed sip
> requests (like broken grammar).

So your suggestion is that we avoid mapping XMPP error conditions to SIP
400 unless the XMPP condition is caused by a malformed request?

> After quick read, <conflict/> would map more suggestively to 403
> Forbidden.

As I said, it's perhaps more art than science. But mapping <conflict/>
to 403 seems reasonable if we accept your suggestion about not mapping
to 400 unless we have a good reason to do so.

> Maybe <policy-violation> and <undefined-condition/> could get
> other mappings as well.

Well, depending on the policy being violated, <policy-violation/> might
map to 413, 414, 513, or even 406/606.

Given that <undefined-condition/> is something of a catch-all, it's not
clear to me what we'd map it to in a consistent way. That would probably
depend on the application-specific element contained in the error stanza.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/