[Stox] On generating RFC4575 participants list out of a MUC

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com> Fri, 25 October 2013 08:38 UTC

From: Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:38:14 +0200
To: stox@ietf.org
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Subject: [Stox] On generating RFC4575 participants list out of a MUC

Hi all,

This is regarding the issue I mentioned at the meeting in Berlin to which Peter referred recently.

In 4575 there are 2 types of entities which kind of relate to participants: users and endpoints. Each user contains a list of endpoints. As per the RFC:

- "The <users> element is a container of <user> child elements, each
   describing a single participant in the conference."

- "By including one or more <endpoint> elements under a parent <user>
   element, the server can provide the desired level of detail
   (including the state, media streams, and access information) about
   the user's devices and signaling sessions taking part in the
   conference."

In SIP a user would be an AoR and an endpoint would be the contact or GRUU.

In XMPP tough, things are a bit more complicated. In the beginning I thought we could use the user bare JID as the <user> element and the occupant JID as the <endpoint>, but in practice this is not going to work, because the real JID is not always available in a MUC.

So, considering that, here is how I propose we proceed:

- <user> element entity is the occupant JID
- if the real JID is available, it MAY be added as a <associated-aors> child element of <user> (4575, sec 5.6.2) (based on local policy)
- <endpoint> entity is also the occupant JID

Neither user entity or endpoint entity is an xs:ID, so using it in both places doesn't invalidate the document :-)

Thoughts?

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects