Re: [Stox] stox-presence-03: a couple of comments

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Fri, 06 September 2013 01:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 19:12:29 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
Cc: stox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Stox] stox-presence-03: a couple of comments

> On 8/26/13 6:34 AM, Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Markus, thanks for the feedback.
>
>> I have a couple of comments on the presence-03 draft:
>>
>> * Some asymmetry between XMPP-to-SIP (3.2) and SIP-to-XMPP (3.3)
>> directions
>>
>> - 3.2.1 explains the DNS operations an XMPP domain uses to
>> determine that the foreign domain does not support XMPP but
>> actually supports SIP/SIMPLE. Presumably something similar is
>> needed in the reverse direction, but this is not explained in
>> 3.3.1. - The case where the subscription is rejected is covered
>> in 3.3.1 but not in 3.2.1.
>
> Good point. We'll add something about that.

Actually, I think draft-ietf-stox-core already covers that:

   When an XMPP service receives an XMPP stanza whose 'to' address
   specifies or includes a domain other than the domain of the XMPP
   service, it needs to determine whether the destination domain offers
   an XMPP service or a SIP service.  To do so, it performs one or more
   DNS SRV lookups [RFC2782] for "_xmpp-server" records as specified in
   [RFC6120].  If the response returns a hostname, the service can
   attempt XMPP communication.  If not, the service can attempt to
   locate a SIP service for that domain using the procedures specified
   in [RFC3263].

   Similarly, when a SIP service receives a SIP message whose Request-
   URI specifies or includes a domain other than the domain of the SIP
   service, it needs to determine whether the destination domain offers
   a SIP service or an XMPP service.  To do so, it uses the procedures
   specified in [RFC3263].  If that response returns a hostname, the
   service can attempt SIP communication.  If not, the service can
   perform one or more DNS SRV lookups [RFC2782] for "_xmpp-server"
   records as specified in [RFC6120].

IIRC, we planned to remove such text from all but the core document,
since it applies to presence, im, chat, groupchat, media, etc.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/