Re: [Stox] Review for stox-7248bis-02

"Isomaki Markus (Nokia-TECH/Espoo)" <markus.isomaki@nokia.com> Wed, 22 July 2015 12:30 UTC

From: "Isomaki Markus (Nokia-TECH/Espoo)" <markus.isomaki@nokia.com>
To: ext Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter@andyet.net>, "stox@ietf.org" <stox@ietf.org>, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, "rjsparks@nostrum.com" <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:30:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.50.32.5]
Subject: Re: [Stox] Review for stox-7248bis-02

Hi Peter,

I checked the revised draft (-03) and it addresses the issues I raised below. But that brought up another thing still.  It's been really long since I've been dealing with SIP Presence, but I think that the message flows in 4.2.1 may still need a couple of clarifications:

1.)

In SIP, if the subscription is not immediately authorized (neither accepted or rejected), it is possible that a 200 OK response to the SUBSCRIBE is sent immediately followed by a NOTIFY with subscription state "pending". If the SIP User later on positively authorizes the subscription, another NOTIFY with subscription state "active" is generated. The potential "pending" state does not seem to be covered in the current diagram, but it probably should be. The question is just what happens in XMPP-to-SIP GW if it gets a NOTIFY with "pending" subscription state. To my understanding the subscription state would remain "neutral" on the XMPP side. Would that mean that the XMPP-to-SIP GW would not send anything to the XMPP side in that case, i.e. only a NOTIFY indicating subscription state as "active" would cause the message (F10) to be triggered? In that case, maybe this kind of addition would be enough:

OLD:

   In accordance with [RFC6665], the XMPP-to-SIP gateway SHOULD consider
   the subscription state to be "neutral" until it receives a NOTIFY
   message.  Therefore, the SIP user or SIP server at the SIP user's
   domain SHOULD immediately send a NOTIFY message containing a
   Subscription-State header [RFC6665] whose value contains the string
   "active" (see Section 5 below).

NEW:

   In accordance with [RFC6665], the XMPP-to-SIP gateway SHOULD consider
   the subscription state to be "neutral" until it receives a NOTIFY
   message.  Therefore, the SIP user or SIP server at the SIP user's
   domain SHOULD immediately send a NOTIFY message containing a
   Subscription-State header [RFC6665] with value "active" (see Section 5
   below). In case the XMPP-to-SIP gateway initially receives one or more
   NOTIFY messages with Subscription-State "pending", it MUST respond
   to them on the SIP side, but not generate any presence stanzas towards the
   XMPP User.

2.)

If you look at RFCs 3856 and 3857, the typical scenario in SIP presence is: There is a SIP Presence Server handling the subscriptions to the presence event package. That is where the SUBSCRIBE (F2) in 4.2.1 goes. But typically the Presence Server would not forward the SUBSCRIBE to the SIP User in way shown in (F3). Instead, the Presence Server and SIP User would interact via the 'presence.winfo' event package (RFC 3857), to which the SIP User would be subcribed. So, when the Presence Server gets a SUBSCRIBE to SIP User's Presence, it generates a 'presence.winfo' NOTIFY the SIP User, who will that way learn about the new subscription. The SIP User would then authorize the subscription by some interaction (for instance using XCAP) with the Presence Server. In this scenario, presence updates from the SIP User would also not be sent as NOTIFYs, but as PUBLISH messages to the Presence Server, who would then generate NOTIFYs to all active subscribers.

It is however possible that the Presence Server acts in a Proxy mode, in which case (as far as I remember), it just passes the SUBSCRIBEs and NOTIFYs through as in the current diagram in 4.2.1. If we don't want to go into the more complex diagrams, it would suffice just to say (already in terminology or in 4.2.1): "In these examples it is assumed that the SIP Server acts as a proxy for Presence event package and the actual Presence Agent resides with the SIP User."

(I'm sure Ben and Robert would know exactly what is the best way of handling these issues, so I included them in To:.)

Regards,
	Markus