[Stox] Pete Resnick's IESG feedback on draft-ietf-stox-core

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Mon, 10 February 2014 22:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:08:48 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: stox@ietf.org
Subject: [Stox] Pete Resnick's IESG feedback on draft-ietf-stox-core

Pete, you wrote:

   Section 4 is (nicely) clear on the document architecturally
   describing a gateway. However, traditionally a gateway is
   transparent to the entity that communicates with it: When we
   had SMTP-to-X.400 gateways, the gateway appeared as just another
   SMTP system that noticed special qualities of the address and
   then routed the messages appropriately.

Your "traditionally" sounds like an SMTP phenomenon. In XMPP, we don't
have intermediate transfer agents, and XMPP servers are designed to use
add-on modules for additional functionality. So in the XMPP universe it
makes sense for the operator of an XMPP service to install a module (in
addition to the XMPP server) that performs the gateway function (we
often call this a connection manager).

   Section 5 describes
   something a bit different. It's not clear that what section 5
   describes actually is part of the gateway, but rather sounds
   like a combined server which does failover between the
   protocols. I don't think this is a showstopper, but it might
   help implementers significantly if you described in section 5
   *where* in the model this function occurs. Right now, it
   sounds like the server itself does the addressing failover,
   not the gateway.

Yes, I see your point. This kind of thing is quite likely implementation
specific (e.g., when the add-on XMPP-to-SIP gateway module gets
configured into and trusted by the core XMPP server, it might get added
into an event listener for core stanza delivery if an XMPP lookup fails
for the remote domain). Let me look at what text might be useful here.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/