Re: [Stox] core: response code mappings

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Sat, 17 August 2013 07:28 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:28:16 +0200
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: "stox@ietf.org" <stox@ietf.org>, "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Subject: Re: [Stox] core: response code mappings

17 aug 2013 kl. 04:28 skrev Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>:

> The SIP Parameters Registry has a list of SIP response codes:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/sip-parameters/sip-parameters.xml#sip-parameters-7
>
> A number of those are not specified in RFC 3261. Thus the question
> arises: for which codes do we need to define mappings? We could define
> mappings for all of them, but I wonder if that's advisable. Some of the
> additional codes are specified in RFCs that update RFC 3261 (e.g., code
> 440 from RFC 5393), whereas other codes are specified in "non-core" RFCs
> that don't update RFC 3261 (e.g., code 470 from RFC 5360). Would it
> perhaps make sense to map the "core" codes and not the "non-core" codes?

I don't really have any good answer. Can just look into the Asterisk code and see
that we've implemented a selection... :-)

The important part is to have a generic mapping for 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx and 6xx codes,
so that if a gateway gets an unknown code, it knows how to map it to something. In SIP,
an unknown 4xx code is the same as 400 etc.

After years of struggling with translations between SIP and ISDN in the Asterisk core,
I know that this is a hard problem. Especially in the case where you have SIP -> xmpp -> SIP
and want the same error code on the other side. You simply can't please everyone when
mapping between two protocols.

/O