[Stox] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-05

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 22 September 2015 03:25 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: draft-ietf-stox-7248bis.all@ietf.org, stox@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:25:01 -0500
Subject: [Stox] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-05

Hi,

This is my AD evaluation of draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-05

This is not quite ready for IETF last call. There are a number of SIP
errors in the examples, and I think we need some more text to discuss a
potential privacy issue. There's some questionable use of 2119 keywords,
and a few other comments.  Details follow.

Thanks!

Ben.

-- Privacy:

I'm concerned that a naive implementation of the gateway could allow an
XMPP user to see presence information for a SIP user that they were not
authorized to see. The issue is that SIP allows a presentity to send
different presence information to different subscribers. For example, if
alice@xmpp.example.com and bob@xmpp.example.com both subscribe to
sip:carol@sip.example.net, what if Carol wants to tell Alice that she is
available, but Bob that she is not? (This is allowed in SIP.) Can we be
sure the gateway won't take presence intended for Alice and also send it
to Bob?

I think this is an issue, since if I understand things correctly, an
XMPP presentity typically sends one presence stanza to her server, and
that server distributes it among her subscribers. I _think_ this can
work as long as we make sure the gateway sends each presence stanza
directly to the subscriber that was targeted by the SIP Notify, and
never mixes them up. But I think we need some text to describe the issue
and give guidance on how to do the Right Thing.

-- 2119 Keywords.

There's quite a number of 2119 keywords used to describe existing
normative SIP and XMPP behavior. Those should be written in descriptive
language, or very clearly attribute the authoritative source. (There are
a few attributed keywords, but many are not.)

-- section 4, 1st bullet:

"Instead of forwarding a SUBSCRIBE message to the SIP user, the Presence
Server and SIP User Agent would interact via the ’presence.winfo’
event package"

This is only true if the presentity has not already setup policy to
allow the subscriber to subscribe. Typically, this happens on the
initial subscription, and future subscriptions may not require the
presence.winfo interaction.

"The SIP User Agent would then authorize the subscription through..,"

Typically, the user agent persistently authorizes the _subscriber_.
(Remembering that in SIP the subscription is ephemeral. )

-- Example 2:
The "To" tag should not exist on the first request in a dialog. The tag
value is learned from the SIP Response (200 OK in this example). The UAC
does not know the tag value at the time of the initial SUBSCRIBE
request. (Note that this repeats in later examples)

-- Example 3:
The From and To values are swapped. Remember that a SIP _response_ uses
the exact same From and To as in the request. (Except for adding the To
tag in a response to a request that did not contain one.) (Note that
this repeats in later examples.)

-- Example 4:

The Request-URI should match the Contact header field value from the
SUBSCRIBE. (Technically, from the last message from the peer, but
assuming you don't have them change contacts mid-stream, it's the same.)
You also might want to consider whether the aforementioned contact
values are useful examples. (Repeats in later examples)

-- 5.2.3

The flow and message details are missing the final SIP NOTIFY request.

-- Example 8:

The request-URI should match the peers Contact field value.

-- Table 1:
- I think this could use some more text around what happens if you have
multiple XMPP resources, or a SIP presentity sends multiple tuples. The
note discusses how to map the resource identifier to the tuple id, but
not much about what it means to have multiple of either.

- I don't think it's correct to try to map CSeq. That's an artifact of
the SIP state machine that seems
meaningless to the XMPP side. (Same for table 2)

-- 6.2, note 5:

The NOTIFY with a subscription state of "terminated" tears down the SIP
subscription. Is that the intent? Why would the unavailability of the
contact end the SIP subscription?

-- note 7:

Do you expect a SIP Presence UA to do something useful with the <show/>
element ? Most will probably ignore it.

-- 9, 2nd paragraph:

"an XMPP-to-SIP gateway ought to be associated only with a single domain
or trust realm"

Is this intended to discourage multi-tenant gateways? Does the existence
of draft-ietf-xmpp-dna change that?

"... whenever an XMPP-to-SIP gateway seeks to refresh an XMPP user’s
long-lived subscription to a SIP user’s presence, it MUST first send
an XMPP <presence/> stanza of type "probe" ..."

I would have liked to see that discussed in the relevant procedures
section(s).

-- Editorial Comments and nits:

-- 5.2.2, 2nd paragraph:

Technically, RFC 6665 doesn’t talk about “presence” subscriptions,
  but it does give the rules for SIP-events subscriptions in general.
Should the citation be to 3856?

-- 5.3.1:
The flow leaves out the SIP responses. That's okay if it's on purpose,
but it would be good to mention you are doing so. (especially since the
previous examples showed them.)

- 2nd paragraph after example 10: "Request-URI or To header"
Shouldn't this just be the Request-URI?

-2nd paragraph after example 11:
This also needs a NOTIFY. You mention one in the following paragraph for
the declined case, but you need one in either case.

-- 5.3.2, 1st bullet:
"will seem strange to the XMPPcontact"

Does the contact's human typically get notified of this?

- 2nd bullet:
This description is confusing. You aren’t maintaining the SIP
subscription, just the xmpp subscription.

-- 2nd bullet, sub-item 2:

Do I understand this to mean the XMPP gateway infers availability of the
SIP user from the SIP user’s subscription? That should come from a
reciprocal subscription. Just because a SIP user subscribes to someone
else's presence doesn't mean that user is available. Just because he
doesn't doesn't mean he is not.

Also, how does this violate the SIP semantic?

-- 6.2:
7 and 8 seem mostly redundant—and there doesn’t seem to be a
citation for 8 in the table.

-- 7:

This is about polling, right? It seems like polling and subscribing are
just two ways to request presence info.