Re: [straw] Review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Sat, 28 May 2016 08:17 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 10:17:07 +0200
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp.all@ietf.org, straw@ietf.org, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [straw] Review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

On Fri, 27 May 2016 17:17:35 -0500
"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> wrote:

> [Oops, I sent that from the wrong address. Please send any discussion to
> ben@nostrum.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> Here is my review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10. I mentioned in my
> AD evaluation of a previous version that the draft needed editing for
> clarity and readability. In my opinion, this version is improved, but
> still a bit rough in places. I have a few substantive comments and quite
> a few editorial comments.
>
> This is not a formal AD evaluation. That will occur after the chairs
> submit a new publication request. But I think we need to work through
> this before it will be ready for IETF last call.

Hello Ben,

thanks for this detailed review! I'll address this soon and come back with an updated version in the next few days.

Just a quick comment on the intended status. I believe it was defined a Proposed Standard as the idea was to discipline the behaviour of B2BUAs, as other documents in this WG do on other aspects (e.g., DTLS-SRTP). Considering the document is called "Guidelines", I personally wouldn't object to turn it into a BCP, although I think keeping it a Proposed Standard would strenghten the importance of doing it right. That said, would a BCP document still need the MUSTs in some places where we have SHOULDs?

Thanks,
Lorenzo