Re: [Strint-attendees] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-iab-strint-report-00.txt

Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joe@cdt.org> Mon, 05 May 2014 14:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 10:56:07 -0400
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joe@cdt.org>
To: strint-attendees@lists.i1b.org
Subject: Re: [Strint-attendees] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-iab-strint-report-00.txt

First, I want to give a hearty thanks the authors of the workshop
report for this write-up. It's well done and covers a ton of ground.

A couple of comments:

* on p. 13 (Section 5.6) it says, "Traffic analysis is a research
discipline that produces sometimes surprising findings, which are
little known among protocol developers." I can't tell if this the the
authors trying to be funny or if this is serious. If it's serious, I'm
wondering if there are ways to increase knowledge at IETF of traffic
analytical threats? Like fingerprinting, it's very hard to protect
against but certainly something that all things being equal protocols
shouldn't make worse.

* a bit farther, I wasn't sure how to fix this, which doesn't make
grammatical sense to me: "However, it is not so easy to use these
techniques well, and not actually make messages easier to recognise
rather than harder." Does padding make messages easier to recognize
than harder?

best wishes and thank you, Joe

On 4/29/14, 5:39 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Sorry the link to the draft below was broken, it should be:
>
> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-strint-report
>
> Cheers, S.
>

> On 28/04/14 19:09, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A little slower than planned, but we've just published the -00
>> version of the workshop report. [1]
>>
>> I'm sure it needs work and we'd love to get any comments or
>> corrections you have.
>>
>> You can either just post those here, or else if you're a github
>> type person you can use its magic to suggest changes there. [2]
>> I'll make sure any substantive changes from there are reflected
>> back here before we put out a -01. (Please bear in mind that I'm
>> a github novice so I might mess up your pull request or mishandle
>> your issue, but fire away if you prefer that and I'll learn as we
>> go;-)
>>
>> The plan is to iterate this a couple of times as needed, and then
>> to ask the IAB to ok it for publication as the RFC version of the
>> workshop report.
>>
>> Cheers, S.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-strint-report-00editorial
>> [2] https://github.com/sftcd/strint-report
>>

>> -------- Original Message -------- Subject: New Version
>> Notification for draft-iab-strint-report-00.txt Date: Mon, 28 Apr
>> 2014 10:59:56 -0700 From: internet-drafts@ietf.org To: Stephen
>> Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Marc Blanchet
>> <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, Hannes
>> Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, Bert Bos
>> <unknown-email-Bert-Bos@ietfa.amsl.com>, Marc Blanchet
>> <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.ca>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, Stephen
>> Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Hannes Tschofenig
>> <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
>>

>> A new version of I-D, draft-iab-strint-report-00.txt has been
>> successfully submitted by Stephen Farrell and posted to the IETF
>> repository.
>>
>> Name:		draft-iab-strint-report Revision:	00 Title:		STRINT
>> workshop report Document date:	2014-04-28 Group:		iab Pages:		54

>> Htmlized:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-strint-report-00
>>

>> Abstract: The STRINT workshop assembled one hundred participants
>> in London for two days in early 2014 to discuss how the technical
>> community, and in particular the IETF and the W3C, should react
>> to Pervasive Monitoring and more generally how to strengthen the
>> Internet in the face of such attacks.  The discussions covered
>> issues of terminology, the role of user interfaces, classes of
>> mitigation, some specific use cases, transition strategies
>> (including opportunistic encryption), and more. The workshop
>> ended with a few high-level recommendations, which it is believed
>> could be implemented and which could help strengthen the
>> Internet.  This is the report of that workshop.
>>

>> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> [...]

- --
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
joe@cdt.org
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871