[Strint-attendees] STRINT workshop logistics

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 21 February 2014 14:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:47:43 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "strint-attendees@lists.i1b.org" <strint-attendees@lists.i1b.org>
Subject: [Strint-attendees] STRINT workshop logistics

Hi all,

This is just an early mail about logistics for the
STRINT workshop. I'll probably re-tx this closer to
time with any updates, and for those who manage to
lose the mail in the intervening week:-)

The workshop site [1] has the location, but in case
you want to print this out that's:

             Telefonica
             20 Air Street
             London W1B 5DL

             map: http://goo.gl/BYVtw1

There is a security desk on the ground floor which
will have a list of attendees and who are not supposed
to let anyone else in. So don't bring a guest;-)

We'll be meeting on the 5th floor, which is also
where you can pick up your badge. Keep the badge with
you for *both days*, and bring your badge to the social
event on Friday or you might have to pay for your
own beer.

The meeting room has limited power supplies, both in
terms of outlets, but more importantly in terms of
load. That means we cannot all be running laptops off
the mains all the time or we'll break something. So
to the extent possible, arrive with a laptop full of
electrons and be ready to share power outlets during
the workshop.

Telefonica have (specially, thanks!) arranged WiFi
connectivity that's outside their firewall and only
requires WPA. There'll be notices scattered about
with the SSID and WPA password on the day. There is
also a backup Telefonica guest network that requires
some form of signup where you receive an SMS with an
access password but that is perhaps more controlled.
I don't believe there will be IPv6 for any of the
above and no eduroam or similar, sorry.

Since we plan to stream audio from the event and
to allow inbound jabber/IRC comments we will be
enforcing IETF-like microphone discipline at the
workshop. We'll explain what that means on the
day if you don't know already. (Basically, you
need to get to a mic to speak during sessions and
state your name boringly often so any remote folks
have a chance to follow.) We'll also be looking
for scribes to keep notes for us so if you're
willing to do a bit of that send me an email and
I'll add you to the list to scribe for a session.

The Friday evening social event will be at a bar
about 10-15 minutes walk from the Telefonica offices.
There'll be maps and directions also scattered about
on the day. Thanks to the EU funded STREWS project,
there'll be drinks and finger food at that between
1900 and 2100 or thereabouts. If you need a more
substantive dinner then you'll have to organise
that yourself.

There'll be some lunches available on Friday. We're
guessing about 33% of attendees might arrive not
having had lunch, so if you know you will or won't
have had lunch please let me know so we don't have
a food fight at the start. That, other snacks and
lunch Saturday will be catered sandwiches etc. as
you'd expect.

Please send me an offlist mail with any special
dietary requirements. We'll plan for whatever the
caterers figure is a typical distribution of vegetarian
etc. but its always good to know how many to expect
and of course about any more special requirements.

Do also mail me if you've any other queries of if
I've left something out here.

Lastly, I repeat: *Keep your badge* for both days
and you will need the badge for the social event on
Friday.

Other than that, I look forward to seeing you all
there for an interesting day and a half!

Cheers,
Stephen.

[1] https://www.w3.org/2014/strint/