Re: [Suit] Introducing draft-moran-suit-manifest-04

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 11 April 2019 17:10 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: David Brown <david.brown@linaro.org>
cc: Brendan Moran <Brendan.Moran@arm.com>, "suit@ietf.org" <suit@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 13:10:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [Suit] Introducing draft-moran-suit-manifest-04

{catching up on the thread, having read the documents}

David Brown <david.brown@linaro.org> wrote:
    > - The download part of an upgrade happens while the application is
    > running, and this code is contained within the code currently
    > running in the primary image.  It downloads the upgrade into the
    > "secondary" slot.  This new code cannot execute at this address,
    > but is placed here as the image is downloaded.  The assumption is
    > that their isn't sufficient RAM to hold the entire image, and that
    > a download may be interrupted.

Are there systems that you target where the minimal MMU could actually remap
things?

    > - Using the scratch area exchange the images in the primary and
    > secondary slot

    > This is designed in such a way that it can resume after any
    > untimely interruption.

I guess the scratch area is not big enough for the entire image, but if there
is an interruption, then the bootloader simply continues to do the swap?

    > Within either the primary or secondary slot, the image has a format
    > similar to:

    > +------------+
    > | Header     |
    > +------------+
    > | Executable |
    > +------------+
    > | Manifest   |
    > +------------+

    > there is no real separate place to store the manifest.  This does mean
    > that during an upgrade the manifest for both the old and the new image
    > are present in flash.

It seems that maybe there is an opportunity here, but I don't know what it is yet.

    > I'm curious what thoughts people have on how to apply the draft 4
    > manifest to the above scenario.  Operations such as "load" aren't
    > really meaningful, but apply-image would certainly make sense.

    > However, the installation of a new image is partially initiated by a
    > different piece of code than the bootloader which is responsible for
    > actually installing the image.  This state has to be managed carefully
    > in a way that works with NOR flash, and therefore will probably live
    > outside of the manifest.

I see your point.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-