Re: [sunset4] Closing Sunset4

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Wed, 16 May 2018 03:41 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
CC: "sunset4@ietf.org" <sunset4@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 03:41:14 +0000
user-agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/f.26.0.170902
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: Re: [sunset4] Closing Sunset4

Hi Mikael,

That is a fair request.

I’m not sure the MIF example applies completely as the situations were different, however I’ll take on board the desire for AD guidance when it comes to work.

I appreciate the desire to have a ‘home’ for discussions. How about this. I’ll close the WG, but leave the sunset4 mailing list open at least until March next year. I’m sure that the volume of discussion up to then will help us evaluate the utility of keeping this list alive. I will naturally stay on the list and watch for any “where does this work go” type messages and guide where I can.

Cheers
Terry

On 15/05/2018, 15:29, "sunset4 on behalf of Mikael Abrahamsson" <sunset4-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of swmike@swm.pp.se> wrote:

    On Tue, 15 May 2018, Terry Manderson wrote:

    > different charter specifically for that item. It has also been made
    > quite clear with the discussions surrounding the last Sunset4 WG item
    > that the IETF and the internet industry are simply not ready to change
    > the status of IPv4 while, in reality, the move to IPv6 (only) will be a
    > very long-tailed exercise.

    When MIF was closed, work was directed to another working group.

    I'd like to see similar guidance for the closing of this WG. There is
    still work to be done, for instance the discussions in v6ops/6man on an
    "no-v4-here"-flag is quite obvious fit there, but other
    discussions/guidance on how to behave when there seems to be no IPv4
    around, where should this take place? For instance discussions on backoff
    timers for DHCPv4 / DNSSD v4 usage in the abscence of no automatic v4 seen
    when connecting?

    I can understand that the discussions we've had are not enough to warrant
    a WG, but it doesn't mean there are no discussions at all. It would be
    good if they had a home.

    --
    Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se