[Supa] SUPA Update

"King, Daniel" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk> Thu, 15 June 2017 11:39 UTC

From: "King, Daniel" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk>
To: SUPA list <supa@ietf.org>
CC: "ops-ads@ietf.org" <ops-ads@ietf.org>, "supa-chairs@ietf.org" <supa-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:39:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [109.156.71.217]
x-iss-local-domain: 1
Subject: [Supa] SUPA Update

Dear supa'rs,

We have cancelled our formal meeting in Prague. This decision was taken based on a proposed plan to focus effort on completing the existing WG items and prepare for closure of the supa working group sometime between IETF 99 and 100. A plan that is yet to be approved by Benoit.

During the last working group meeting Benoit stated:

"the WG will be closed at IETF 99 (Prague, 16 July) unless there is substantive progress on the Information Model and especially on the Data Model draft by one month before the Prague meeting."

The authors of the Data Model and Information Model I-Ds did submit new versions but we only received one review. However, Nevil and I are working with the IM and DM authors to gather reviewers in preparation of Last Call. Essentially, we are working to prep folks who would be able to review the documents we Last Call, ideally these should be from policy/yang implementers.

The Framework I-D has also received a review which is positive, and I am in the process of reviewing the document myself to also help prepare the document for Last Call. Additionally, the Applicability I-D (a non-working group document) received a review which is also useful.

We have also seen notifications from other SDOs following supa, specifically:
- ONUG: Investigating I2NSF combined with the SUPA data model and framework
- ETSI Experiential Networked Intelligence (ENI): New initiative defining context aware networking systems, SUPA was identified as a key building block
- MEF Open Lifecycle Service Orchestrator (LSO): Using SUPA between functional components

However, the indication from ONUG, ETSI and MEF does not materially change the situation of SUPA but it does demonstrate wider interest in our work, and at least some responsibility for supa/IETF to complete it (if possible). If you are aware of near-term implementations now is the time to highlight them.

Again, we felt we did not need a WG meeting in Prague to progress the working group I-Ds, and given the IETF agenda coordination call (is today) we had to cancel the supa WG session request ASAP, and unfortunately before we had a chance to communicate the current situation to the rest of the working group. Apologies for any surprise when you saw the cancellation notification, and the lack of opportunity for wider discussion.

As mentioned our proposed plan has been submitted to Benoit and is yet to be approved, therefore we will wait for his thoughts and ultimate decision.

The SUPA Chairs would sincerely like to thank everyone for their participation and especially the authors of I-Ds for their efforts.

BR, Nevil and Dan.