[SWMP] Kicking things off

"Jay C. Weber" <jweber@mediamachines.com> Tue, 29 May 2007 16:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:34:03 -0700
From: "Jay C. Weber" <jweber@mediamachines.com>
To: swmp@ietf.org
Subject: [SWMP] Kicking things off

Thanks for your interest in standardizing a Simple Wide-area
Multiuser-3D Protocol.  So far, this list is to gauge both interest and
consensus in the subject, and could lead to the creation of an IETF
Working Group that would pursue an Internet standard.  I created this
list and will moderate it at this stage.

The idea is to create a line protocol that is, in the IETF tradition, a
simple and practical solution to the problem of synchronizing 3D scenes
among clients, servers, and peers connected over heterogeneous wide-area
networks.  This problem has been solved many times over, as shown by the
panoply of Massively Multiplayer Online Games, and seemingly in similar
ways, making it a well-understood problem.   However, there has been
almost no effort to date to foster interoperability among those systems
and system components.  Standardization of the line protocol should
enable efficient development and a robust middleware ecology, thereby
freeing up technical resources to concentrate on more advanced
multi-user functionality.

I should note that there does exist a related IEEE standard called HLA
(cf. https://www.dmso.mil/public/transition/hla/), but I think that not
even its proponents would claim that it is simple and practical in the
IETF tradition.  Please share your thoughts on this work, as well as any
other relevant standards-based work.

My interest in this area, and that of my company, started and is still
primarily focused on a multi-user line protocol that works well with the
ISO-standard X3D/VRML modeling language and API, but it may be that the
proper focus for a future working group is broader than that.  Please
share your thoughts on other content and client technologies.

Most of all, please share what you and your companies are doing in this
area, interested in doing in this area, and interested in contributing
to a standardization effort.  Please invite interested colleagues to
join the discussion as well.  I look forward to hearing from all of you!

jay
--
Jay C. Weber
CTO, Media Machines