RE: [SWMP] introducing RPC to an asynchronous protocol

john_patterson@us.ibm.com Wed, 29 August 2007 22:55 UTC

To: Tony Parisi <tparisi@mediamachines.com>
Subject: RE: [SWMP] introducing RPC to an asynchronous protocol
From: john_patterson@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:56:16 -0400
Cc: swmp@ietf.org

Tony:

I do not see why it would need to be either/or.

The decision to do pub/sub is not really an option.  The paper described
an implicit pub-sub.  I am advocating that we be explicit.

The more difficult question is whether a pub-sub approach is sufficient
for all needs.  Given all the traffic that ensues when a subscription
takes place, it seems unwise to SUBSCRIBE simply to learn a value and then
turn around and UNSUBSCRIBE once it is known.  If we can identify
situations in which it is important to learn the value of a field in order
to decide whether to SUBSCRIBE, then I think we will want the GET
functionality.

Imagine, for example, that we have a server that is managing multiple
shards.  We are connecting our client, but we want to subscribe to the
shard that is least occupied or that a friend is already in.  In these
cases, we might want to query the shards for their load value and
subscribe accordingly.  Or, query the shards to find our friend and then
subscribe accordingly.  To subscribe to each shard simply to find these
values would cause excess load on the server, the client, and the network.
 It is worth avoiding.

jfp