Re: [Syslog] I-D Action:draft-cloud-log-01.txt (fwd)

Raffael Marty <raffy@raffy.ch> Sun, 20 March 2011 05:18 UTC

From: Raffael Marty <raffy@raffy.ch>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 22:05:56 -0700
To: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] I-D Action:draft-cloud-log-01.txt (fwd)

Chris et al.

I have written a technical review of why a cloud logging standard doesn't make any sense here:

- http://raffy.ch/blog/2011/02/14/why-a-cloud-logging-standard-doesnt-make-any-sense/

Aside from the many many shortcomings that are addressed in my blog post, standardizing cloud logging is like saying we are going to write a standard for mobile phone logging, one for green data center initiatives, one for virtualization, etc. We need one standard. The cloud is not special. It's a virtualized, distributed, asynchronous environment. We need to add these (and other) use-cases to an existing or a new logging standard, but not create a variety of different use-cases. Let's define what the cloud use-case demands and add it as a requirement to some other standard.

Please consider this when looking at the cloud-draft.

Thank you!

  Raffael

--
Raffael Marty                          Founder and COO @ Loggly