Re: [Syslog] Issue 8 - Tim Polk DISCUSS

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Wed, 09 June 2010 18:14 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "'t.petch'" <ietfc@btconnect.com>, 'Chris Lonvick' <clonvick@cisco.com>, syslog@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:14:02 -0400
Cc: iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Issue 8 - Tim Polk DISCUSS

Hi,

This syslog/dtls/dccp issue revolves around mandatory-to-implement but
not mandatory-to-use.

The draft recommends using syslog/DTLS over DCCP when DCCP is
available.
If DCCP is available in an environment, the environment probably
demands congestion awareness and control.

The RECOMMEND is not about whether DCCP is available at
implementation-time, but whether DCCP is available at use-time.
If implementations don't include support for the ***interface***
between (syslog/DTLS) and (DCCP), then even if DCCP is available at
use-time, users won't be able to use it.
This is similar to the MUST implement/SHOULD use advice in section 7
of BCP 61 (RFC3365).
A MUST-implement does not say that the implementer MUST implement
DCCP, only the interface to DCCP.

The interface between (syslog/DTLS) and (DCCP) should be MUST
implement, so that when DCCP is available in the user environment,
syslog can use it.

dbh