RE: [Syslog] stream transportwasdraft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-01.txt

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Fri, 16 June 2006 15:36 UTC

Subject: RE: [Syslog] stream transportwasdraft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-01.txt
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:36:08 +0200
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: "Anton Okmianski (aokmians)" <aokmians@cisco.com>, Tom Petch <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>, syslog@ietf.org

Anton,

You were, but I misunderstood it. I was so focussed on the (objected)
plain tcp transport, that I did not realize that you were actually
talking of a layer between -protocol and -transport-whatever-secure.

> I think first of all we need a basic mapping to TCP or more
> generally define syslog payload (framing) format for
> connection-oriented protocols.  This should cover sending
> multiple messages over the same connection, obviously. The
> same payload structure can be used over various TCP protocols
> (TLScTCP, SSHoTCP, etc) or even over straight TCP with IPSec.
>
> Connection establishment and tear-down issues should be left
> to the actual transport.

I think it shouldn't. I actually think we need an app-layer ACK,
otherwise we might loose messages without knowing it. This is from the
SELP spec I posted earlier:

=======
  As such, SELP is only reliable as far as the TCP stream is not
   broken. If the TCP stream breaks, the sender does not exactly know
   which data has actually been transmitted to the receiver and which
   not. This is due to the fact that TCP uses a sliding window of
   variable size. In short, this allows that the sender sends packets,
   receives an acknowledgement from the OS, but the data is still on the
   wire. The OS acknowledgment does NOT mean the data is actually
   received. While the sender continues to send data, the already OS
   acknowledge data is eventually delivered to the sender. If that
   succeeds, everthing is fine. If now, however, the TCP stack will
   detect the problem over time and notify the sender. However, the
   sender does not know exactly where the problem occured and so does
   not know what to re-send. Anyhow, it knows at least something went
   wrong and SHOULD log an event to a local system event repository.
======

I think we should address this need in a tcp (or better: stream)
framing. It's not a big deal to add an app-level opening and closing to
the protocol - and eventually even an app-level ack/nak (per message),
which would relive us of many problems.

It can be as simple as

Sender:
XFERSTART <sender-name> (could be checked against cert!)
MSG <header><protocol-message><trailer> (trailer for error-checking,
questionable)
CLOSE <optional-param>

Receiver:
SMTP-like status codes (or simply ACK / NAK "reason")

No a big deal but a big advantage...

> If we don't introduce anything new
> in TLS or SSH, I am not sure why anything extra is needed to
> be specified.  Maybe just to create a baseline of requirement
> (minim cipher suite, auth mode, etc), but even that is questionable.

I think the parameters should be outlined.

> BTW, can IPSec be considered a viable security transport for
> syslog using UDP transport?  I already mentioned how IPSec
> can address security issues in syslog-transport-udp-07.  So,
> do we simply need to provide an overview of how it does it in
> that ID to pass the IESG criteria of secure syslog transport?

This is a very good question, I think one for Sam. Maybe Chris could
check it out?

Rainer