Subject: [Syslog] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:27:35 -0600

Hi Folks,

As Tom and Jurgen noted, Arijit Kumar Bose did send some notes to the 
Syslog mailing list. By the time I had snapped to, the system had timed 
most of them out. I finally got that last one approved and forwarded to 
the mailing list.

Arijit (and the IEC WG15) rightly notes that the RFCs are using 
deprecated cipher suits and the DTLS RFC is using a deprecated version.

Sean, Joe, and I worked out a -00 draft to address these issues. Like 
all -00 IDs, it's open to comments. :-) We know that there are some 
larger efforts underway to address TLS, DTLS and cipher suites. We're 
not going to try to do that here. Rather, we'd like to update RFCs 5425 
and 6012 to get them compliant with current standards with a minimal 
impact to current implementations.

Sean is going to run this by the secdispatch group to see if they can 
make a recommendation on where this may be best addressed and discussed. 
I'm sure that we'll get some good input from the group here on the 
Syslog mail list, so please send in your comments and let's get these 
two RFCs updated to using current best practices.

Best regards and have a great weekend,
Chris

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt
Date: 	Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:57:44 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

Title : Updates to the Cipher Suites in Secure Syslog
Authors : Chris Lonvick
Sean Turner
Joe Salowey
Filename : draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt
Pages : 8
Date : 2021-12-10

Abstract:
This document updates the cipher suites in RFC 5425, Transport Layer
Security (TLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog, and RFC 6012, Datagram
Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog. It
also updates the transport protocol in RFC 6012.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.html

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at 
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt