RE: [Syslog] delineated datagrams

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Fri, 04 August 2006 18:00 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Chris Lonvick' <clonvick@cisco.com>, 'Miao Fuyou' <miaofy@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [Syslog] delineated datagrams
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:59:15 -0400
Cc: syslog@ietf.org, 'Tom Petch' <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>

Hi,

As you probably know by now, I like to see design reuse across IETF NM
solutions, especially across SNMP, syslog, ipfix, and netconf where
feasible.

As all the IETF NM protocols move toward similar secure transport
solutions, including moving from datagrams to streams, it would be a
good thing to use consistent aproaches to framing.

Here is what is happening in the other IETF NM protocols:

SNMPv1/v2c/v3 uses octet-counting within its BER encoded messages.
For SNMP over TCP (RFC3430):
   It is possible that the underlying TCP implementation delivers byte
   sequences that do not align with SNMP message boundaries.  A
   receiving SNMP engine MUST therefore use the length field in the
   BER-encoded SNMP message to separate multiple requests sent over a
   single TCP connection (framing).  An SNMP engine which looses
framing
   (for example due to ASN.1 parse errors) SHOULD close the TCP
   connection.

SNMP over SSH (ISMS) does not specify how to delineate datagrams,
beyond the BER octet-counting.
(As editor of the SNMP/SSH draft, I will probably copy the text from
RFC3430.)

IPFIX uses octet-counting. See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-22.txt
section 3.1.

The NETCONF protocol uses an RPC-based communication model.
From
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-prot-12.txt:
   NETCONF peers use <rpc> and <rpc-reply> elements to provide
transport
   protocol-independent framing of NETCONF requests and responses.
There is ongoing discussion about the framing in the netconf
notification protocol, and the possibility of interleaving
notifications and request/responses within a session or channel.

David Harrington
dharrington@huawei.com
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net