Re: [Syslog] Issue 9, 9a, and 9b - from a Tim Polk COMMENT

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Tue, 08 June 2010 20:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:44:40 -0400
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Issue 9, 9a, and 9b - from a Tim Polk COMMENT

t.petch wrote:
> I see two separate issues here, trust anchor and mandatory encryption, and it is
> the latter I am absolutely against.  Just because someone, somewhere in the
> world may send confidential data in a syslog message does not mean the IETF must
> REQUIRE everyone, everywhere in the world to encrypt everything.  It's ......
>
> The IESG had a go at SNMP over this but SNMP got its oar in decades ago by
> specifying that authnopriv(acy) was a part of SNMP, and so it has remained, as
> the mechanics of security have evolved.
>
> If that is ok for SNMP, with all the important data it carries, I think it
> suitable for syslog ie NULL encryption is fine and we would be doing our users
> an injustice to deny them the option.
>
> The argument based on our mention of disclosure as a threat in RFC5425 I find
> spurious; it means that encryption must be an option, not that everyone must use
> it all the time.
>
> <mutter, mutter, mutter/>

Tom,

Ah see I'm not sure Tim was thinking along these line.  I suspect Tim
is thinking is here's yet another protocol saying we're going to use
TLS/DTLS and they're not saying anything about the interesting things
that can happen with TLS/DTLS (e.g., negotiating NULL confidentiality
algorithms).  If the WG isn't always using DTLS for confidentiality,
then Section 4 needs to say that.  Maybe adding something like the
following before the note:

However, confidentiality is not always required for syslog over DTLS
because [insert reason here].

I think you'll need to add some text that says if confidentiality is
required, the NULL cipher suites MUST NOT negotiate NULL encryption
ciphers.

I'm hoping that we can keep the part about MUST NOT support NULL
integrity and authentication algorithms in Section 5.3.  But, add a
new last sentence that says something like:

When confidentiality is provided by [insert mechanism here], then NULL
encryption algorithms MAY be negotiated.

spt