Re: [Syslog] New Version Notification for draft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-05 (fwd)

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> Mon, 01 November 2010 18:04 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>, syslog@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:01:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [Syslog] New Version Notification for draft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-05 (fwd)

Chris

I had not noticed before but this seems to have changed direction during the
summer; Informational not Standards Track, and stressing byte-counting more,
byte-stuffing less.

I do find it less clear.  I think that the Introduction needs more work in the
light of the changes to the rest of the document. I read
"This specification includes descriptions of both
   format options in an attempt to ensure that standardized syslog
   transport receivers can receive and properly interpret messages sent
   from legacy syslog senders."
got to the end of the document and thought 'oh no it does not!' and then
realised that this is now an Appendix whereas before it was in the main body.
Of course, if you never knew it was in the body, you might not be as confused as
I.

But really, the emphasis on standardised and legacy syslog seems misplaced.  The
carriage over TCP is the same whether the carried is SYSLOG-3164 or SYSLOG-MSG
so the distinction seems spurious.  And SYSLOG-3164 does not appear in any RFC
or I-D I can find.

Rather, you have two forms of adaptation to carry a message, and what that
message is is mostly academic.

Separately, I think that more is needed on Security.  It is easier to sabotage
TCP than it is UDP; spurious FIN, RST etc.

And I think more is needed on closing the session.  The transport receiver
detects a format error (well, the transport sender is not going to) sends FIN,
gets FIN-ACK and ....  the transport sender carries merrily on.  I think that
there should be a recommendation that the transport sender closes the connection
and reopens it if it wants to.

Tom Petch