Re: [Syslog] Issue 9, 9a, and 9b - from a Tim Polk COMMENT

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> Tue, 15 June 2010 11:22 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: clonvick@cisco.com, robert.horn@agfa.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:18:40 +0200
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Issue 9, 9a, and 9b - from a Tim Polk COMMENT

I agree with Robert that privacy can be achieved by means other than encryption,
but disagree that privacy is a MUST operationally.

As Chris pointed out, we have already said this in RFC5424
"In most cases, passing clear-text messages is a benefit to the
    operations staff if they are sniffing the packets from the wire.  "
which means I think we should say

"Implementations MUST support DTLS 1.1 [RFC4347] and MUST at a
     minimum support the mandatory to implement cipher suite ,
    which is
     TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA [RFC5246].  If additional cipher suites are
     supported, then implementations MUST NOT negotiate a cipher suite
     that employs NULL integrity or authentication  algorithms.

   Where privacy is REQUIRED, then implementations must either negotiate
  a cipher suite that employs a non-NULL encryption algorithm or else achieve
  privacy  by other means, such as a physically secured network.

However, as [RFC5424] section 8 points out
'In most cases, passing clear-text messages is a benefit to the
    operations staff if they are sniffing the packets from the wire.'
and so where privacy is not a requirement, then it is advantageous
to use a NULL encryption algorithm.

Tom Petch