Re: [ledbat] list of reasons for needing multiple TCP connections

"Robb Topolski" <robb@funchords.com> Mon, 01 December 2008 23:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:27:33 -0800
From: Robb Topolski <robb@funchords.com>
To: "ledbat@ietf.org" <ledbat@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ledbat] list of reasons for needing multiple TCP connections
Sender: ledbat-bounces@ietf.org

> in the course of a 24 hour period you will typically see a total of well
> over 4000 NAT table entries for BitTorrent when it's in use.

Good grief.

"In the course of a 24-hour period" is a huge qualifier, not to mention
irrelevant.  How big is the NAT table over the course of a year?   You can
really demonize P2P with a stat like that!!

The only relevant NAT table is the one you have, now.

TCP is actually more friendly to this problem than UDP, because it give the
> NAT a clue about when it's safe to free an entry.

I don't know that TCP is any more or less friendly.  Sure, it gives state,
but you have to track that state and do an orphan timer.  Meanwhile, a lot
of TCP apps send keepalives anyway, rendering all that pretty much
meaningless.

Stateless  UDP is much more of a problem.

With UDP, it's much less of a problem.  Devices can just expire the entry
after sufficient time has passed since the last traversal -- which is what
they already do.

With TCP entries, owing to the chance that keepalives aren't used, my
favorite router sets a 2.5 hour timer.  With UDP entries, it's 5 minutes.