[Taps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-taps-transport-security-11: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 09 April 2020 14:38 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-taps-transport-security@ietf.org, taps-chairs@ietf.org, taps@ietf.org, Philipp Tiesel <philipp@tiesel.net>, caw@heapingbits.net, philipp@tiesel.net
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 07:38:10 -0700
Subject: [Taps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-taps-transport-security-11: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-taps-transport-security-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-transport-security/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is really easy to read.

After discussion with Magnus and Barry, I have cleared my DISCUSS but I still
hope for a fix to my previous DISCUSS

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENTs. An answer will still be
appreciated.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== previous DISCUSS ==

I question the inclusion of CurveCP in the mix as per
https://curvecp.org/addressing.html it does not seem to support IPv6. At the
bare minimum, the I-D should mention this restriction in section 3 or rename
section 3 from "protocol descriptions" into something less exhaustive.

(and I hope to be corrected about CurveCP IPv6 support).

== COMMENT ==

Please respond to the IoT-directorate review by Mohit:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/iot-directorate/xTVOvQ7kI78sDPZQuVsTvGB2x0s
Please respond to the INT-DIR review by Brian:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/int-dir/2IHPgukaAAMvMjO7TXvo_ujcI_I +
Gorry Fairhurst's about GRE

Generic comment about the intended transport: all protocols analyzed in this
document are point to point (no multicast), this should probably be mentioned
in the introduction.

-- Section 1 --
Is there any reason why the integrity property of IPsec AH is not mentioned ?
Same also applies in section 2 when "security protocol" is defined.

-- Section 3 --
Use the wording of "record protocol" generically while the term "record
protocol" is defined in section 2 as a blocked data transport (like in TLS).
Suggest the use of "data transfer protocol" ?

An important property of such protocols is to be able to traverse a NAPT box
(that I hate)... I suggest to mention whether the analyzed protocols support
NAT-traversal in this description section or even in the analysis parts as
having a different view (application and network layers seeing possibly
different IP addresses so a potential impact on the API).