Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Tue, 08 October 2013 11:44 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Arjuna Sathiaseelan' <arjuna@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:44:05 +0200
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org, tsv-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

Hi, Arjuna,

The idea of multipath TCP sounds interesting. It consists of "inverse
multiplexing" with TCP. However, TCM-TF does "multiplexing" with UDP.

What I was thinking is: can these scenarios also fit with TCM-TF? The idea
is to compress small-packet flows (VoIP, online games) in order to save
bandwidth, when a number of flows share a common path. We have discarded the
multiplexing of TCP, because the additional delay may modify the dynamics of
TCP.

TCM-TF combines header compression, multiplexing and tunneling, in order to
aggregate a number of flows, when a low-bandwidth link is in the path. Thus,
bandwidth can be saved and pps can be reduced, at the cost of processing
power.

Do you think this case can be found in these kind of networks? In the
discussion of TCM-TF in Berlin this summer, some people from Africa were
interested, since they think that low-bandwidth links have to be better
used.

Thanks!

Jose

VoIP.