Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Wed, 27 November 2013 11:58 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: "'Reinaldo Penno (repenno)'" <repenno@cisco.com>, tcmtf@ietf.org, tsv-area@ietf.org, tsv-area@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:58:34 +0100
Cc: 'Martin Stiemerling' <mls.ietf@googlemail.com>, 'Spencer Dawkins' <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

Hi, Reinaldo.

(...)
> * "The document will present a list of available traffic classification
methods
> which can be used for identification of the service or application to
which a
> particular flow belongs². My first reaction would be to not try to list
> available classification methods since it will get into implementation
> details. And what if traffic is e2e encrypted? Given the whole
surveillance
> thing should we we can expect this to happen? How would you know a flow
> is candidate or suitable for compression?

One question about this. Our idea is to list some possibilities to be used
for a TCM optimizer in order to select the flows to optimize. Some examples:

- DPI. However, some people would say that it is against network neutrality,
and it may also be difficult if the flow is encrypted.

- Selecting according to IPs and port numbers. For example, if a flow has a
destination IP belonging to a game company, it is a clear candidate. This
would be possible if there is an agreement between the ISP and the game
company.

- The packets include specific diffserv values.

- Automatic detection based on statistics of Inter-packet time and packet
size have also been proposed. They are not against neutrality:
T. T. Nguyen, G. Armitage, P. Branch, S. Zander, “Timely and continuous
machine-learning-based classification for interactive IP traffic,” IEEE/ACM
Trans. on Networking, 20(6), pp 1880-1894, 2012.

What do you think about these possibilities?

Thanks,

Jose