Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Fri, 22 November 2013 16:35 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: "'Eggert, Lars'" <lars@netapp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:35:31 +0100
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org, "'Reinaldo Penno (repenno)'" <repenno@cisco.com>, 'Martin Stiemerling' <mls.ietf@googlemail.com>, tsv-area@ietf.org, 'Spencer Dawkins' <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

Hi, Lars.

Just the required citations about energy in routers, and about skype:

[1]  R. Bolla, R. Bruschi, F. Davoli,  F .Cucchietti, "Energy Efficiency in
the Future Internet: A Survey of Existing Approaches and Trends in
Energy-Aware Fixed Network Infrastructures", Communications Surveys &
Tutorials, IEEE, vol.13, no.2, pp.223,244, Second Quarter 2011.

[2] J. Chabarek, J. Sommers, P. Barford, C. Estan, D. Tsiang, S. Wright,
"Power Awareness in Network Design and Routing", INFOCOM 2008. The 27th
Conference on Computer Communications. IEEE , vol., no., pp.457,465, 13-18
Apr. 2008

According to [1] internal packet processing engines and switching fabric
require 60% and 18% of the power consumption of high-end routers
respectively. Thus, reducing the number of packets to be managed and
switched will reduce the overall energy consumption.

The measurements deployed in [2] on commercial routers corroborate this: a
study using different packet sizes was presented, and the tests with big
packets made the energy consumption get reduced, since a certain amount of
energy is associated to header processing tasks, and not only to the sending
of the packet itself.

Obviously, as you say, we should also measure the tradeoff:

a) energy consumption is increased in the two extremes (mux-demux)
b) energy consumption is reduced in the intermediate nodes

The two references only talk about b), so the tradeoff should be explored
more deeply.

Regarding Skype, I have just run a test with the echo tool and captured with
Wireshark. If the video is disabled, the packet size (only UDP packets) is
roughly 100 data bytes + headers.

Uplink 153 bytes average
Downlink 149 bytes

[3] Bonfiglio, D., Mellia, M., Meo, M., Ritacca, N., & Rossi, D. (2008,
April). Tracking down skype traffic. In INFOCOM 2008. The 27th Conference on
Computer Communications. IEEE (pp. 261-265).

[4] Rossi, D., Mellia, M., & Meo, M.. A detailed measurement of skype
network traffic. In IPTPS (p. 12), Feb. 2008.

This is valid if you only use Voice. If you activate video, packets become
larger, as you say. I should have specified this. Sorry.

Best regards,

Jose

They