Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Mon, 24 June 2013 11:21 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: jsaldana@unizar.es, tcmtf@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:20:55 +0200
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

Question: Why Transport Area?

Answer:

There are three possibilities: RAI, Internet and Transport Area. These are
some of the protocols to be used:

L2TPv3: Internet Area (RFC 3931, March 2005)

PPPMux: Internet Area (RFC 3153, August 2001)

ECRTP: RAI Area (RFC 3545, July 2003)

ROHC: Transport Area, although it can also compress RTP (RFC 5795, March
2010)

1) RAI

TCM-TF is about real-time services. In fact, it would update RFC4170, which
was developed within the RAI Area.

However, we are proposing to go towards a more generic scheme. RAI area is
mainly focused on RTP, and TCM-TF only considers RTP as one of the
possibilities. Bare UDP or even TCP flows can be compressed, multiplexed and
tunneled.

2) Internet Area or Transport Area?

RFC 1122 defines the layers as:

- Transport Layer: "The transport layer provides *end-to-end* communication
services for applications".

- Internet Layer: "All Internet transport protocols use the Internet
Protocol (IP) to carry data from source host to destination host. IP is a
connectionless or datagram internetwork service, providing *no end-to-end*
delivery guarantees".

TCMTF is an *end-to-end* solution, requiring some knowledge of the traffic
to multiplex, and a synchronization of the context on both sides.

So it is clear that it fits in the Transport Area.

Jose