Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Fri, 29 November 2013 10:15 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: "'Eggert, Lars'" <lars@netapp.com>, "'Reinaldo Penno (repenno)'" <repenno@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:15:14 +0100
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org, 'Martin Stiemerling' <mls.ietf@googlemail.com>, tsv-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

Hi. I am not sure I understand the problem. Let's use two examples.

a) You have a bottleneck of 1 Mbps, and the offered traffic is:

- UDP 1.1 Mbps
- TCP. It will take as much as it can, using its mechanisms.

In this case, UDP flows will have a lot of delay and packet loss, since they
do not react against congestion. TCP flows will get nothing, since there is
no place for them.

If we use ROHC (for a single hop) or TCM-TF (for more than a hop) and
compress UDP flows to (let's say) 800 kbps, then we will have:

- UDP 800 kbps
- TCP will take the other 200 kbps

b) You have a bottleneck of 1 Mbps, and the offered traffic is:

- UDP 700 kbps
- TCP: It will take the other 300 kbps.

In this case, if we compress UDP to 500 kbps, then TCP will take 500 kbps
instead of 300 kbps.

TCP always takes the bandwidth that UDP leaves. So if you compress UDP, TCP
will have more bandwidth. (I am talking about TCP for FTP or for downloading
a movie. If we talk about TCP for an MMORPG game, the story will be
different)

What do you think?

Jose