Re: [tcmtf] Next steps with TCM-TF

Manuel Gorius <gorius@nt.uni-saarland.de> Tue, 10 September 2013 12:30 UTC

From: Manuel Gorius <gorius@nt.uni-saarland.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:30:12 +0200
To: jsaldana@unizar.es
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Next steps with TCM-TF

Dear Jose,

It was nice to follow the ideas brought up during the TCM-TF BoF. I think that a related standard might become important in near future since besides online gaming there is also a plenty of upcoming interactive and sensor applications that would be sending small parameter updates (think of smart factory applications for instance or even e-health services). I highly appreciate the decision to move the focus away from TCP. Given TCP's limited efficiency for interactive applications, the concerns of potential impact on its performance should not put an innovation bottleneck in front of new ideas improving transport efficiency.

During the BoF session the question of transport reliability for such multiplexed packet flows was raised. This would be a point where our lab could contribute. We developed a "predictably reliable" error control scheme that operates under strict delay constraints. The scheme would particularly benefit from the larger packets and the higher aggregate data rate of the multiplexed packet flows. If such error control would be considered beneficial in TCM-TF, I'd be happy to become active.

Best regards,
	Manuel Gorius