Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 10 October 2013 09:13 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: tsv-area@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:13:09 +0200
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

Regarding Community Networks, I have found some information about their
deployment in rural areas. The Council of a village shares an Internet
connection with all the neighbors, and they get Internet for free. For
example, see this small village (1400 people) called Alcalalí, in Alicante,
Spain. http://www.alcalali.es/ver/137/informacion-general.html.

The question is that, when they talk about the services, they say "Consulta
de páginas web, descarga de correos, Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo, Hotmail,
webcam, chats, etc." (web pages, e-mail, Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo, Hotmail,
webcam, chats, etc.). Not a single real-time service is cited.

This can be a very interesting use case for TCM-TF: a "bottleneck" (the
Internet connection) shared by a number of people. If traffic gets
optimized, perhaps they could also offer real-time services like VoIP.

What do you think? This is working in Spain, but it can also be useful for
developing countries or zones where network operators have not deployed an
infrastructure yet.

Thanks!

Jose