Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Fri, 11 October 2013 16:26 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Mirko Sužnjević' <Mirko.Suznjevic@fer.hr>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:26:13 +0200
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org, tsv-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Community Neworks: any idea about them?

Hi, Mirko. I understand what you mean, but I don't know if considering TCP
is a good idea at this stage.

As seen in the BoF in Berlin, many people in the Transport Area are really
worried about adding any extra delay to TCP, since TCP dynamics are governed
by RTT. So my opinion is to forget about standardization of any TCP
optimization method.

With UDP (or RTP), the thing is more straightforward. In fact, a TCM
optimization method for RTP already exists (RFC4170).

In my opinion, we need more research, and perhaps an implementation before
considering TCP as a possibility. But I think the best option now is putting
TCP in the fridge until we are able to show real tests showing that TCP
flows can be multiplexed (in fact, I have some plans for building an
implementation). If we build an implementation, considering RTP, UDP and TCP
is not too much additional work. The IETF believes in running code, so we
will see if TCP optimization "runs" or not.

And I am looking for some traces obtained from Community Networks. They are
a very interesting scenario for TCM-TF traffic optimization.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jose