Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 21 November 2013 16:57 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: "'Reinaldo Penno (repenno)'" <repenno@cisco.com>, tcmtf@ietf.org, tsv-area@ietf.org, lars@netapp.com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 17:56:52 +0100
Cc: 'Martin Stiemerling' <mls.ietf@googlemail.com>, 'Spencer Dawkins' <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Improved version (v8) of the TCM-TF charter draft

Hi, Reinaldo and Lars. Thank you very much for your comments. I will build a
new version of the charter in the next days.

Just a question about the scenarios. As agreed yesterday, we should limit to
scenarios with more than a single L3 hop. If there is a single L3 hop,
header compression (ROHC/ ECRTP / IPHC, depending on the protocols
implemented by the two optimizers) will suffice.

In some scenarios the number of hops is clear:
- in an air-to-ground connection there is a single hop. Not interesting for
TCM-TF
- in a pair of appliances creating a tunnel between two offices  of a
company, there are a number of hops. Interesting for TCM-TF

But what happens if a scenario may involve one, two or more L3 hops? This
will  happen in a "community network": you can create a tunnel just to
connect a village with the Internet (one hop), or to connect a village with
another village, which is the one really connected to the Internet (more
than one hop). See a paper about the topology of these networks here
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6379103.

Perhaps we should take this into account when thinking about the "TCM-TF
negotiation". Suppose there are two TCM-optimizers that want to create an
optimized tunnel. During the negotiation they SHOULD check if the number of
L3 hops between them is 1. In that case, they can avoid the tunnel, and also
the multiplexing (and multiplexing delay in turn). This could be seen as a
particular case of TCM-TF:

- Compression layer: ROHC
- Multiplexing layer: send every single packet. No need for PPPMux
- Tunneling layer: no tunnel

So perhaps we should also consider the "no multiplexing" and "no tunneling"
options in the protocol stack, in order to cover these cases.

What do you think?

Jose