Re: FWD:: Re: [e2e] Re: Question on "identification" field of IP

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> Thu, 19 December 2002 18:20 UTC

Subject: Re: FWD:: Re: [e2e] Re: Question on "identification" field of IP
From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
Cc: richard@codeburst.co.uk, mallman@grc.nasa.gov, tcp-impl@grc.nasa.gov
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:20:09 +0000
Sender: owner-tcp-impl@grc.nasa.gov

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 02:15, Joe Touch wrote:
> I'm not sure we want specs to provide workarounds for bugs. Bugs should
> be fixed at the source.

Yeah sure. Given some large vendors can't even get CIDR right still (try
connecting to ftp2.linux.org.uk from various non Unix systems some day)
I don't think we can expect vendors to fix their hardware.

The reality is that even things like TCP ECN are still undeployable
because large allegedly competent organisations have everything broken.
Its only recently that tcp path mtu has become generically usable.

Alan