[tcpinc] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-12: (with COMMENT)

Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com> Thu, 26 October 2017 04:24 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno@ietf.org, David Black <david.black@dell.com>, tcpinc-chairs@ietf.org, david.black@dell.com, tcpinc@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:24:31 -0700
Subject: [tcpinc] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-12: (with COMMENT)

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-12: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno/

COMMENT:

This draft was fairly easy for me to follow. I do have some questions, of
course, but I'm a Yes.

In Section 3, Terminology, most of the terms were originally defined in RFC 793
(pretty much all, except for the last three, about TEP). I don't object to this
document saying "this is how we are using these terms from RFC 793", but I do
think it's worth providing an explicit pointer to the more detailed
descriptions in RFC 793, which is already a normative reference but is only
referenced for the description of TCP header options in Section 4.1.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out what "kind" means in this text.

   It uses a new TCP option kind to negotiate one
   among multiple possible TCP encryption protocols or TEPs.

Is this a term of art I haven't seen?

I understand every word in this text,

      The passive role bit MUST be 1 for all passive openers.  For
      active openers, it MUST default to 0, but implementations MUST
      provide an API through which an application can explicitly set "b
      = 1" before initiating an active open.  (Manual configuration of
      "b" is necessary to enable encryption with a simultaneous open.)

but am not sure what you're telling implementers - is the point that a client
application using a traditional client-server application protocol doesn't need
to set "b = 1" for an active open, because servers won't also be attempting an
active open simultaneously, but applications using peer-to-peer application
protocols should?

Could you give an example of the kind of "implementation considerations" that

  A passive opener (which is always host B) sees the remote host's SYN
   segment before constructing its own SYN-ACK segment.  Hence, a
   passive opener SHOULD include only one TEP identifier in SYN-ACK
   segments and SHOULD ensure this TEP identifier is valid.  However,
   simultaneous open or implementation considerations can prevent host B
   from offering only one TEP.

is envisioning?

Perhaps

  A host MAY send a _vacuous_ SYN-form ENO option containing zero TEP
   identifier suboptions.

would be an appropriate entry in the terminology section? I had to keep reading
to understand what _vacuous_ meant in this sentence.

I wonder what the understanding of "significantly less" in

  o  TEPs MUST NOT permit the negotiation of any encryption algorithms
      with significantly less than 128-bit security.

will be in practice. Could you help me understand why this isn't a specific
number?

I couldn't parse "provide forward secrecy some bounded, short time" in

  o  TEPs MUST NOT depend on long-lived secrets for data
      confidentiality, as implementations SHOULD provide forward secrecy
      some bounded, short time after the close of a TCP connection.

without guessing. Perhaps one or more words is missing?