[tcpinc] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-16: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Fri, 17 November 2017 07:16 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno@ietf.org, David Black <david.black@dell.com>, tcpinc-chairs@ietf.org, david.black@dell.com, tcpinc@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:16:05 -0800
Subject: [tcpinc] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-16: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-16: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno/

COMMENT:

This is looking good. A few small comments:

   ENO provides a framework in which two endpoints can agree on a TCP
   encryption protocol or _TEP_ out of multiple possible TEPs.  For
   future compatibility, TEPs can vary widely in terms of wire format,
Nit: instead of "or _TEP_" I would say (_TEP_). These are the same thing

   suboptions, which we term a _vacuous_ SYN-form ENO option.  If either
   host sends a vacuous ENO option, it follows that there are no valid
   TEP identifiers for the connection and hence the connection MUST fall
do you mean "vacuous SYN-form ENO option' here?

                (1) A -> B:  SYN      ENO<a=0,X,Y>
                (2) B -> A:  SYN-ACK
Oh, I now see why you were sad. I meant *b=0*, so it makes clear why the roles
resolve properly. My bad.

I agree you don't need to show a=0 all the time. So sorry.