Re: [tcpinc] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpcrypt-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Daniel B Giffin <dbg@scs.stanford.edu> Fri, 24 November 2017 18:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:28:42 -0800
From: Daniel B Giffin <dbg@scs.stanford.edu>
To: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, tcpinc <tcpinc@ietf.org>, Kyle Rose <krose@krose.org>, "tcpinc-chairs@ietf.org" <tcpinc-chairs@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpcrypt@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpcrypt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpinc] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpcrypt-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Ekr: Thanks for explaining the point about session-secret
reuse, and for proposing a reasonable coutermeasure.

I agree adding nonces to the resumption handshake could be a
useful safeguard, but there is the cost of 12 (or more)
bytes of option-space on the first ACK in each direction.

And as David Black suggests, the expected setting for
implementation of tcpcrypt ought to make safe managment of
session secrets straightforward.  (Famous last words?)

Although I'm happy to entertain more discussion about this
tradeoff, I'm inclined to David Black's suggestion to add
"serious warnings about avoiding resumption key reuse" to
Security Considerations.

daniel