Re: [tcpm] [tsvwg] L4S status tracking

Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> Wed, 06 November 2019 15:49 UTC

From: Dave Taht <dave@taht.net>
To: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
Cc: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <4bone@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 07:49:25 -0800
Subject: Re: [tcpm] [tsvwg] L4S status tracking

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> writes:

> Bob,
>
> I am not convinced by any of your statements.

Me neither. Outside of this echo chamber no-one at any conference
I've been to of late has heard of L4S.

I am recently back from the nanog+arin meetings in austin. (I'm not
there on aqm related business, I'm trying to do something new in
the NRO election [
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL726kQ53RX6imaiNabIZZKNZUmrBrT6pc
 ]  )

... but, being "mr bufferbloat", my self-selecting audience does come
up to me and chat. I've enjoyed learning all the places where cake is
penetrating in particular.

I would think that the nanog folk in particular would have heard
of l4s or SCE by now, but none had on this particular trip, and I
find myself explaining it (in as neutral terms as I can muster),
and the only thing that works is describing "classic" as "normal" traffic,
and the l4s queue as dctcp-style, and even then, it's rare
I don't have to burn 10s of minutes explaining any of it.

I would vastly prefer that that the term normal, or RFC3168-compliant or -style
be used instead of classic throughout these materials.