Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-converters-12.txt

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 21 October 2019 13:59 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "philip.eardley@bt.com" <philip.eardley@bt.com>, "Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
CC: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:59:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.245]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-converters-12.txt

Hi Phil,

Thank you for double checking.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] The OLD wording insisted on the importance of Total Length field to disambiguate TLVs when user data is also present, but OK to change as follows if you think this is better:

User data is unambiguously distinguished from Convert TLVs by
a Transport Converter owing to the Convert Fixed Header in the
Convert messages (Section 4.1).

> In Section 3.3, I think you should move the text about MPTCP out of S3.3
> (into S3.4, maybe with some renumbering of S3.4 & 3.5 to make a section
> about mptcp)
> [this is the text "Note that for the Multipath TCP case..." to the Figure 8
> caption and the bullet "In reference to Figure 8"]
> Reason: handle the general case first, then the MPTCP variant.

[Med] No problem to rearrange the text if you think that is better.

> << Note that for the Multipath TCP case, the Transport Converter identifies
> an MPTCP connection by means, e.g., of the token assigned to the MPTCP
> connection.>>
> If I get it right, this is nothing to do with the token defined in MPTCP,

[Med] ", e.g., of the token assigned to the MPTCP connection." refers to the token defined in MPTCP:

   Token:  A locally unique identifier given to a multipath connection
      by a host.  May also be referred to as a "Connection ID".

Any issue with that?

> but is simply an identifier internal to the Converter (to help it keep
> together entries for the same Client). Ie this token is not seen on the
> wire. Please could you re-phrase the para and the definition of "token" in
> the Figure 8 caption.
>
> Section 4.1
> In the Figure 12 caption, I suggest deleting "-Sized" (so: "Figure 12: The
> Fixed Header of the Convert Protocol" or even "Figure 12: The Convert Fixed
> Header")

[Med] OK, changed to "Figure 12: The Convert Fixed Header)".

> Section D.2
> Appendix D.1 has a final paragraph which doesn't appear at the end of D.2
> (<<The Transport Converter must be on the forwarding path of incoming
> traffic.>>)

[Med] D2.2 has already the following text:

   Adequate forwarding policies are enforced so that traffic destined to
   an address of such pool is intercepted by the appropriate Transport
   Converter.

> I assume the same text is true for the IPv4 address sharing model. I
> suggest adding a comment at the end of D.2 that the same considerations
> apply (or repeating the paragraph, possibly with "IP address" changed to
> "IP address prefix")
> I also suggest changing the title "IPv4 Address Sharing" to "Address
> Sharing"

[Med] Changed the title to "Address/Prefix Sharing" to cover both IPv4 and IPv6.

Thank you.