[tcpm] Disabling PAWS when possible

Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Thu, 21 June 2018 06:50 UTC

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 23:49:58 -0700
To: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: [tcpm] Disabling PAWS when possible

Hello,

I have been thinking about PAWS and TS option for a while and prepared a
simple short draft.
The basic ideas in the draft are like this.

1: There are several technologies (such as tcpinc, mptcp, tls) that can be
used as a replacement of PAWS
    They can even provide stronger protections than PAWS, which might be
able to contribute to recycling connections in TIME_WAIT.

2: Some implementations have records of transmission times on each segment
which won't require TS option for RTTM.

3: When 1 is available, we don't have to put a TS option in every segment.
    Also, when 1 and 2 are available, we don't have to use TS option at all.
    Since we already have base technologies to replace PAWS and TS, all we
need here is a simple signaling mechanism for feature negotiation.

The draft is still very premature and I may overlook something, but it
would be great if I could get some feedback.

Thanks,
--
Yoshi