[tcpm] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-tcpm-yang-tcp-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 29 June 2022 15:26 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tcpm-yang-tcp@ietf.org, tcpm-chairs@ietf.org, tcpm@ietf.org, nsd.ietf@gmail.com, nsd.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 08:26:19 -0700
Subject: [tcpm] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-tcpm-yang-tcp-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tcpm-yang-tcp-07: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-yang-tcp/

DISCUSS:

** B.2.  Thanks for providing an example of a TCP-AO configuration.
Unfortunately, this isn’t a valid example example and it seems to be making
citations that don’t match.  Specifically:

-- “<crypto-algorithm>hmac-sha-256</crypto-algorithm>”

The algorithms usable by TCP-AO come from
https://www.iana.org/assignments/tcp-parameters/tcp-parameters.xhtml#tcp-parameters-3.
 Only SHA1 and AES128 are registered.  As far as I tell, the only work to add
SHA256 is in an unadopted and expired draft
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nayak-tcp-sha2/).

As aside, I think the algorithm name would have been SHA-256 or SHA256 (no
HMAC).

--    Per the link to RFC9235:

    The following example demonstrates how to model a TCP-AO [RFC5925]
   configuration for the example in TCP-AO Test Vectors [RFC9235].  The
   IP addresses and other parameters are taken from the test vectors.

RFC9235 doesn’t use SHA256; and uses KeyID 61 and 84.  Different KeyIDs are
used in this example.  Which parameters are being used from the test-vector?

COMMENT:

Thank you to Hilarie Orman for the SECDIR review.

I concur with the SECDIR observation that “there are no statistics kept for
authentication failures.  If a shared key falls out of synch, the statistics
might help detect that.”  I appreciate the response
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/secdir/BnjVJ7_IgN7mSNaGi3H2ujVYvn0/)
which recommends that this should be generically modeled.  I disagree that this
should be deferred. There is a very specific TCP-level primitive being
described here and it makes sense to me to provide a corresponding logging
primitive.