RE: [tcpm] New I-D posted : draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-00

<toby.moncaster@bt.com> Wed, 21 February 2007 15:27 UTC

Subject: RE: [tcpm] New I-D posted : draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-00
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:27:11 -0000
From: toby.moncaster@bt.com
To: michael.welzl@uibk.ac.at, tcpm@ietf.org

Hi Michael.

Just to clarify, I was not talking about the ECN nonce which, as you
rightly say, is intended to address a different problem (the concealing
of ECN marks). I was actually referring to a solution presented by
Stefan Savage et al in the paper "TCP Congestion Control with a
Misbehaving Receiver". In this paper they present two versions of a
transport layer nonce which they call the "Singular Nonce" and
"Cumulative Nonce". We do look at the ECN nonce in the actual draft
since that claims to protect against the two attacks our test is
designed to identify.

Thanks for the pointer as to the slightly surprising wording in RFC2581.
As far as I can tell everyone seems to assume this was a MUST anyway...!

Toby

____
Toby Moncaster, <toby.moncaster@bt.com> Networks Research Centre, BT
Research
B54/70 Adastral Park, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP53RE, UK.  +44 1473
648734