Re: [tcpm] IANA TCP options registry

Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar> Sat, 06 March 2010 16:47 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 13:47:06 -0300
From: Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
To: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
Cc: "tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, Alfred Hönes <ah@tr-sys.de>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] IANA TCP options registry

Joe,

> Some of the info in Alfred's registry may be useful in other places, but
> not necessarily in areas managed by IANA. IANA isn't chartered to
> provide detailed spec info, except as it affects registrations (e.g.,
> system vs. user ports) - they provide pointers to other docs.

That's the point. What pointer does it have for, e.g., the Bubba option
or for options #20 through #23? -- FWIW, I'd rather have a pointer to a
spec rather than an e-mail address. In particular when the e-mail
addresses may become obsolete, and when there's no guarantee that you'll
get a response if you send e-mail to those e-mail addresses.

> Some would be useful in an informational summary doc (SYN only, etc).

Agreed.

> Other information on current use isn't clearly appropriate IMO for
> either a doc or IANA tables, such as active use information.

I don't expect "usage" information with a granularity of one year or two
years, but at least I'd be interested in "usage" information with a more
coarse granularity (e.g., "was this ever deployed on the Internet?", "Is
it fair to assume that nobody is using this anymore?")

> Putting up web pages with this "other" (IMO, non-IANA) info may be
> useful, but seems outside IANA's scope. I'm not sure who could maintain
> those pages, other than individuals on personal sites (which, given
> search engines, ought to be sufficient anyway).

I disagree with this. Yes, there are search engines. But they don't tell
you the accuracy of the information that they provide in their results.
Secondly (and probably more importantly), why should we rely on some
external agent to provide this information??? Why should this useful
stuff need to be produced elsewhere?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont