Re: [tcpm] Re: RFC 1323: Timestamps option

Matt Mathis <mathis@psc.edu> Wed, 30 May 2007 22:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:23:16 -0400
From: Matt Mathis <mathis@psc.edu>
To: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Re: RFC 1323: Timestamps option
Cc: TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions WG <tcpm@ietf.org>, Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>

You are being more conservative than necessary:   If I start out w/o
timestamps, then I am assuming that I will be at low rate (or perhaps a short
flow), and I don't need PAWS.  I just need to be sure that PAWS is fully
enabled before I would send the same sequence number within one MSL.

As long as I meet this criteria, all prior segments are protected by
either the MSL or as the "minus first" clock tick.

Which raises another point, if I start without timestamps and just a few
seconds later I am already 25% through the sequence space (think 10 Gigabit
Ethernet), and I then try to turn on timestamps and the other end balks, what
do I do?

One answer would be to force the window down to RTT*4294967296/MSL, but people
might think that is just a bit draconian.  Furthermore, this solution has the
nasty marketing problem that a correct highspeed stack is vastly slower than
an incorrect implementation in some situations. Other suggestions?  Ignore the
problem?

What happens today if you fail to request timestamps, and the path turns out
to be a much faster than 100 Mb/s?

Although permitting "late timestamps" has been on my todo list for years, I
have come to think that a safer solution is to unconditionally request
timestamps as long as the route of choice does not point to a directly
connected compressing modem on a voice grade line.  There are now several
secondary control algorithms (such as the receiver side autotuning in Linux)
that require timestamps for optimal operation, and thus provide motivation for
(almost) unconditionally turning them on.

Thanks,
--MM--
Matt Mathis      http://www.psc.edu/~mathis
Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529
Evil is defined by mortals who think they know
"The Truth" and use force to apply it to others.