Re: [tcpm] Exceeding value in MSS option?

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 20 October 2020 09:11 UTC

To: Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org Extensions" <tcpm@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:10:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Exceeding value in MSS option?

On 19/10/2020 20:22, Martin Duke wrote:
> Hello tcpm,
>
> Section 4.2.2.6 of RFC 1122
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1122#page-85> is pretty
> clear that the TCP sender MUST consider all IP and TCP options when
> sizing payloads with respect to the advertised MSS option.
>
> I'm reviewing a document
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-11#section-4.1.1>
> that advises that some endpoints may want to reduce their advertised
> MSS on IPv6 connections in case the peer isn't respecting that
> guidance. Is noncompliance with this provision a problem in the
> internet? Are there middleboxes injecting options that cause PMTU
> drops or fragmentation?
>
> I have not heard of such problems, but thought I'd check with the
> community to see if this precaution makes any sense at all.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Hi Martin,

While a server advertising a restricted MSS clearly reduces the TCP
packet size, it seems to me to be a rather poor solution to the problem
in general, and only works for TCP.

If  it wants to say some advices, I think the IETF needs to consider
current practice and the implications of this. I suspect the practice of
clamping the IPv6 MSS at the server is already quite common, especially
in IPv6 servers offering web content. MSS Clamping on-path is also
common, but anyway I see some servers advertise an MSS much lower than
permitted by the MTU. For example, see the section on MSS handling here:

https://tma.ifip.org/2018/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/06/tma2018_paper57.pdf

This might be because of the reasons for this are cited in RFC8900.

Gorry