Re: [tcpm] urgent data draft (draft-gont-tcpm-urgent-data-01.txt)

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Mon, 22 June 2009 21:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:39:14 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: Gorry Fairhurst <gf@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Cc: tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org, David Borman <dab@weston.borman.com>, tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] urgent data draft (draft-gont-tcpm-urgent-data-01.txt)

I'm wondering about #2. It's worth noting that implementations don't
follow the specs, but I'm getting increasingly concerned about
continuing to publish docs that say "implementations don't follow spec"
without actually either saying "and the spec is hereby changed" or "and
implementations are noncompliant and should be fixed".

While I agree that both #3 and #4 are the most important
recommendations, I propose that the WG should decide how to address whether:

	1) decide whether to update 1122 and clarify 793 (as
	standards track)
	or to reiterate 1122 and indicate existing implementations
	noncompliant

	I don't really care which of these is picked; given
	#3 and #4, it wouldn't really matter much, but I do
	feel strongly that the WG should NOT ignore this aspect.

	2) decide whether the doc is standards track (if changing
	1122) or BCP

	IMO, BCP is required based on #3 and #4 (i.e., it's not
	about whether existing impls. are incorrect, so much
	as advice on how to proceed or the future). If 1122
	is changed, then the doc needs to be standards track,
	which covers the "BCP" advice in 3 and 4 anyway.

Joe